What created this huge deficit in US?
1. Bush tax cut, and extended by Obama. It is estimated that this tax cut cost our country
For top 1% – $714,787,400,000
For the next 4% – $329,697,930,000
Total – since 2002 – over 1 trillion dollars.
2. Two unpaid wars – Conservatively it is estimated so far at 3-4 trillion dollars.
3. Medicare, Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) cost a year – almost $900,000,000,000.
So, those programs are the biggest price tags in the budget.
Americans support for each of the programs:
- Bush tax cut, extended by Obama – 60% of Americans support tax increase on those making more then $250,000
- End wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (part of overseas military commitment in Federal budget) – 65% of Americans support reduction of overseas military commitments.
- Social Programs – although cutting social programs are not popular among Americans, everybody understands that something has to be done to Medicare and Medicaid.
Democrats support all three programs: military reduction, Medicare reduction, and tax increase.
Republicans support only 1 program: Medicare and Medicaid reduction. But no tax increase and no military cuts.
So, my question is, if we know what has to be done to reduce the deficit and majority of Americans understand and support measures and policies to achieve deficit reduction, why are Democrats not talking about it on every corner? Why do they not inform the American public? If there is strong public support, what is so difficult to sell?